Embarrassingly, I thought that the anime in this video was just some cool art that Matthew Sweet had made for his song. *sigh*
Despite that fact, it’s still a cool song, and Matthew Sweet was way ahead of his time by using anime in it. The breakdown in this song is badass. Matthew Sweet with Girlfriend
One of my favorite trends in art now is when people organically make art that looks like it was photoshopped. It triggers in me the exact same emotion as when I see pictures like this, of ivy overtaking a building.
It’s a sense that we’re winning, that somehow the organic and alive things will always triumph over technology and stone. Maybe I’ve seen the Terminator too many times. Regardless, check this out.
Tim Gunn, who is every girl’s fantasy of a gay father, has been giving a lot of interviews lately to promote Project Runway. If you weren’t sure, Project Runway is a show I both watch and adore.
He’s been throwing formality to the wind lately, saying some pretty “awwwww shit!” things in publications like Us Weekly and OK! magazine.
They all had songs about……..
The Retro Blog has a great blog post tracing the pre-Golden Girls careers of Rose, Dorothy, Blanche, and Ma. Go read it, but I had to repost this.
I’m filled with North Carolina pride today. I started looking up videos from local bands that helped me start my first little tiny seeds of pride in my home state, which is full of shitty things, like…
So Kumail and I are moving to another part of Brooklyn in October (sidenote, if you know of any apartments off of Bedford, Metropolitan, or Graham on the L, holler at your girl), and have been loving the hell out of Google Maps’ Street View to help us. It can let you know easily if the apartment you’re considering on craigslist is surrounded by cafes and boutiques or looming rape/warehouses.
Here’s some other fun stuff about Google Maps!
The following are things written in my notebook that I keep with me at all times, written verbatim.
- It’s sexy to act like you’re surprised your clothes are coming off.
- It’s really fun to whistle “Do Ya Think I’m Sexy?”
- Child Emily asked her sister “What’s an air conditioner?” and child sister Molly replied “…….an air conditioner………is an air conditioner!” Child Emily replied “oh!” That’s cute.
- What’s dorkier- a movie themed wedding or a video game themed wedding?
- All the people with Edward Gorey tattoos and all the people with Nightmare Before Christmas tattoos should meet up in a stadium and then fight it out to the death.
- Living in a spaceship would be awesome. Talk about that.
- This man is wearing a hat that says “child support” and a bag that says “ground zero”. This is a man whose accessories are nouns.
- I’m the type of girl that would follow a bird if I thought it wanted me to.
So I’m plugging again, which I try not to do very often, but this weekend is a full-on Kumail weekend at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater!
Friday night at midnight, so fine, technically Saturday, we have The Demon Who Never Appeared, the variety show Kumail and Jared and Andy did in Chicago together.
And then Saturday at midnight (so again, techically Sunday), Game Bros Live!, the show that Kumail does with Thomas Middleditch about video games, with special guest SNLer Jason Sudekis!
This video utterly disturbed me, and I never thought of videos the same way again. It was done by the Brothers Quay, twin brothers from England that are pioneers in the field of stop-motion animation. Badass song, and man, after seeing this video, you can’t think of the song the same way.
Sober, by Tool