They all had songs about……..
See the full listing below from Wikipedia, and big ups to Chris Neary for finding this list after not believing me that “Brick” by Ben Folds Five was about abortion. A few comments, though.
- Um, P.O.D.? Nice. Subtle as a jackhammer with that song title there. You too, Grammartrain. How do you guys actually feel about abortion?
- Sex Pistols, you guys definitely win any fucked up song award there is to be won out there.
- Marilyn Manson’s inclusion for Get Your Gunn? That song was more aimed at abortion provider killers, rather than abortion, really. But ok, I’ll allow it.
- Two Ani DeFranco songs? That seems about right.
- Digable Planets have a pro-choice song? Nicely done!
- Papa Don’t Preach? Really Wikipedia? That song is about the opposite of abortion.
- My favorite song title? Sometimes Miracles Hide by Bruce Carroll. That’s pretty classic.
- “Abortion” by Kid Rock
A song about a man so grieved by his girlfriend’s abortion that he contemplates suicide.
- “Abortion is a Crime” by Alpha Blondy
A song about how Alpha Blondy believes all humans have a right to life.
- “Abortion is Murder” by P.O.D.
- “A Baby’s Prayer” by Kathy Troccoli
A song in which a child asks God to forgive his or her mother for having an abortion.
- “Bodies” by The Sex Pistols
A song about a mental patient who becomes pregnant by a male nurse and has an abortion.
- “Brick” by Ben Folds Five
A song in which singer Ben Folds tells the story of an abortion his girlfriend had during high school.
- “Burden Your Hands” by Underoath
A song in which Underoath elaborate upon their pro-life position on abortion.
- “Can I Live?” by Nick Cannon
A song that is a semi-autobiographical account of how Cannon’s mother decided not to have an abortion.
- “Choir Girl” by Cold Chisel
A song about a man who tries to console his distressed girlfriend prior to an abortion.
- “Chotee” by Bif Naked
A song about the abortion Bif Naked had at age 18 while married to her then-drummer.
- “Diary of an Unborn Child” by Mark Fox
A song sung from the point of view of a male fetus who shares developmental news from conception to abortion.
- “Execution” by Grammartrain
A Christian rock song about the band’s opposition to abortion.
- “The Freshman” by The Verve Pipe
A song about a girl who commits suicide as a result of the regret she feels for having an abortion.
- “Get Your Gunn” by Marilyn Manson
A song written in reaction to the 1993 murder of aborton provider Dr. David Gunn.
- “Happy Birthday” by Flipsyde
A song in which a man apologizes to the child he might have had.
- “Hello Birmingham” by Ani DiFranco
A song written in response to the 1998 bombing of an abortion clinic in Birmingham, Alabama.
- “In America” by Creed
A song which criticizes abortions done in the interest of maintaining financial stability.
- “L’Annonciation” by Mylene Farmer
A 1985 song who deals about an abortion after a rape.
- “La Femme Fetal” by Digable Planets
A song in which the singer gives reasons why he thinks access to abortion should be protected.
- “Lost Woman Song” by Ani DeFranco
A song in which DiFranco recounts the abortion she had after becoming pregnant in 1988.
- “Mazohyst of Decadence” by Dir en grey
A song written to be an account of abortion told from the perspective of the fetus.
- “Miracle by Whitney Houston
A song about a girl who has an abortion and later comes to feel it was a mistake.
- “Papa Don’t Preach” by Madonna
A song about a girl who decides to carry to term despite the fear of disappointing her father.
- “Rapid City, South Dakota” by Kinky Friedman
A song which Friedman has described as “the only pro-choice country song”.
- “Red Rag Top” by Tim McGraw
A song about a young couple who drift apart after choosing to have an abortion.
- “Retrospect for Life” by Common, featuring Lauryn Hill
A song in which a man tries to convince his girlfriend not to have an abortion after he gets her pregnant.
- “Runaway Love” by Ludacris
A song which refers to an 11-year-old girl who gets pregnant by an older boyfriend and cannot afford an abortion.
- “Sally’s Pigeons” by Cyndi Lauper
A song inspired by the story of a childhood friend of Cyndi Lauper who died of an unsafe abortion.
- “Sara” by Fleetwood Mac
A song claimed by Don Henley to be about an abortion Stevie Nicks had after becoming pregnant by him.
- “Shasta (Carrie’s song)” by Vienna Teng
A song about a woman who goes to an abortion clinic and is convinced by a street preacher to think about it for longer. She is indecisive about whether to go back or not. At the end, she comes to a decision, but it is not revealed what it is.
- “Slide” by The Goo Goo Dolls
A song about a young couple debating whether to have an abortion or get married.
- “Sometimes Miracles Hide” by Bruce Carroll
A song about a couple who are given an unfavorable prenatal diagnosis and are asked to choose whether to abort or have the baby.
- “To Zion” by Lauryn Hill
A song about how Hill chose to give birth to son Zion although advised to have an abortion on account of her music career.
- “The Unseen” by Geto Boys
An antiabortion song which suggests that public funds used to “kill babies” should be used to kill homosexuals instead.
- “What It’s Like” by Everlast
A song in which one of three characters is a pregnant teenager considering having an abortion.
- “When Under Ether” by PJ Harvey
A song that is popularly interpreted as being the account of a woman undergoing an abortion.