Lawyer Jack Thompson, all-around brilliant guy, has been disbarred today. Who is he, you ask? Well, let me run down his list of accomplishments:
- He led the charge against 2 Live Crew over lyrical content in that group’s 1989 album As Nasty as They Wanna Be (and it’s hit single, “Me So Horny”)
- He went after the video game Doom in 1996, calling it a “murder simulator” and eventually blaming for the 1999 Columbine High School Massacre
- He targeted the Grand Theft Auto series, accusing it of “mentally molesting minors for money.” After three police officers were killed by a professed Grand Theft Auto: Vice City player in Alabama, Thompson represented their families in a civil lawsuit to hold the makers of GTA responsible
- He accused webcomic Penny Arcade of harrassment (and called police) after they made a charitable contribution in his name
- He spearheaded the effort to get legislation made to censor video games after the “Hot Coffee” incident in GTA: San Andreas (if you were invited up after a date for “hot coffee”, SEX happened)
- He caused such a ruckus trying to keep Bully from being released that the game manufacturers had to create a for teens only version of the game
He’s been disbarred for “abusing the legal system by submitting numerous, frivolous and inappropriate filings.” and Gamespot says
In a prepared statement sent to media outlets, Thompson claimed the disbarment was an act of retaliation for a number of actions, the most recent of which being a civil lawsuit Friday naming more than 70 defendants (and one late defendant’s estate) including the Florida Bar and all seven of the state’s Supreme Court Justices for alleged violations of his civil rights.
“The timing of this disbarment transparently reveals its motivation,” Thompson wrote, adding, “This rush to disbarment is in retribution for the filing of that federal suit. With enemies this foolish, Thompson needs only the loyal friends he has.”
Yay!! Sometimes things work out!