The Mirror has a fun article about how things will be different in the White House when the Obamas move in.
Here are some factoids I learned!
- When Obama travels by motorcade there are a dozen identical cars – so potential assassins won’t know which one he is in.
- He has to hand a Secret Service agent his glass every time he has a drink outside the White House. The agent carries a small bag for his glasses, which are later destroyed. The idea is to ensure that no unauthorized person has access to the Presidential DNA, but it is not clear how an enemy would use it.
- Obama will be given a set of panic buttons: One for his pocket, one on his desk and one beside his bed. They are credit card-shaped and simply have to be squeezed to summon a posse of agents.
- Presidents and their families are charged for every meal, as well as for dry cleaning, toothpaste and toiletries.
- Obama is removing the plasma TV from the famous Lincoln bedroom. Instead, he wants guests to read.
- To help him keep in shape, Obama will build an indoor basketball court – to replace the bowling alley that Richard Nixon installed. He’ll invite professional basketball stars to join him.
- Sleepovers will have to be hosted at the White House, since the girls are too kidnappable for them to be at other people’s homes.