I love Lemondrop, both for employing me and for showing me this gem.
For those of you that have cats and day jobs, I’m sure you wonder what the hell your cat does all day while you are gone. Well, wonder no more. Science took care of this mystery, via Friskies Cat Food’s Research Department.
To solve this mystery, fifty house cats were given collar cameras that took a photo every 15 minutes, and based on the photos, we now know how kitty cats spend their days without you. The answer may warm your soul, and it may break your heart.
Here’s the breakdown of how the cats spent their time:
- 22 percent was spent looking out windows
- 12 percent was spent playing with other household pets
- 8 percent was spent climbing on chairs or cat furniture
- 6 percent was spent sleeping
- 6 percent was spent looking at a TV, computer, DVD, or “other media” (Whooooa, what?)
- 6 percent was spent hiding under tables
- 5 percent was spent playing with toys
- 4 percent was spent eating or looking at food
Probably not the data the Friskies people wanted to see, but I am intrigued. We put birdseed out all over our fire escape specifically so that Bagel has something to look at. The idea that she’d be doing it anyway is kind of weird. Please don’t ever do research proving that when they’re looking out the window, they’re thinking “WHERE ARE YOU MOMMY WHERE ARE YOU?”
Because that would kill me.