Do you have a spare $10 lying around?
If you do, you should use it to buy the Two Disc Special Edition of Purple Rain.
Sure, you get the movie, which is amazing, but you get soooo much more than that.
Quick side story- I worked at a home for schizophrenics for a while. Our 270 residents were mostly in their 40s and African American, and institutionalized since early adulthood, which meant that the 80s were their cultural reference points. This made us all great friends. They absolutely loved Purple Rain, and you haven’t really lived until a room full of adults with schizophrenia starts doing the “Dearly beloved” speech from Let’s Go Crazy in unison.
If… nay, WHEN you buy this item, you will get
- the movie
- commentary from the director, producer, and cinematographer, who are all still completely in love with the project and know how special it was
- an inside look at First Avenue, the club in Minneapolis that housed Prince as well as Morris Day and The Time
- lots of concert footage intermixed with people talking about how badass Prince was
- a documentary about the making of the movie, where you learn such tidbits like the fact that Prince wrote When Doves Cry because the movie needed a song for a montage.
- a ton of videos
- and the crown jewel of the whole thing- the MTV premiere party of Purple Rain, where I collected these two images:
Before you ask, no, Prince has absolutely no involvement in the special features. And yet, it’s still amazing. Please invest today.